Sunday, December 21, 2008

Let's blame the weather

I almost feel sorry for the retailers at this point. In an already exquisitely horrid environment, they can't seem to catch a break. Business has been bad. Discounts have been huge. Margins have been microscopic. And now Mother Nature is dealing what will surely be a death blow for at least a few firms: seemingly 3/4 of the United States is blanketed in snow and miserable shopping weather.

I usually laugh at weather as an excuse from retailers, but this time, I've got to commmiserate with them. I mean, even Las Vegas kids got a snow day this week! This week, this weekend in particular, is usually the biggest shopping weekend of the holiday season. And now what shoppers there are can't get to the stores.

I feel like I should bake some hot dishes for the retail wakes that are surely coming.

No comments: