Friday, November 21, 2008

The New King is a Duke

Congratulations to Mike Duke, the newly named successor to Lee Scott at Wal-Mart. Mike's most recent deployment has been over the international portion of the business. His experience in the firm and in retailing in general will be put to good use heading up the worlds largest retailer.

Although I have to say that the skills that Lee Scott has most utilized over the past three years have been more in the public relations and media arena. It's been all about the old soft shoe... but it's been backed up with action. And for that, I need to add a hearty congratulations to Lee Scott. I know I'm not on his Christmas card list, and in fact seemed to be on Wal-Mart's hit list for a number of years, but Lee, you done good. You fixed the problems. You brought in the right people, let them do what needed to be done, and the results have been worth waiting for. I'm sorry for that time a few years ago when you took a month off and I called for your resignation. It wasn't nice, but I was frustrated. In retrospect, it wouldn't have been the best thing for the company.

Now Lee, go enjoy your retirement. The folks you've put in place will carry on just great. You're leaving at a high point, and you've earned it.

No comments: